PE and Sports
Physical Education and Sports at Brodetsky Primary School
PE is led throughout the whole school by Mrs Benton.
Our School Vision:
At Brodetsky we believe all children should take a full active part in sports and know how this relates to a healthy lifestyle. Every child will leave our school physically literate, and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
Physical Education at Brodetsky is a very important part of the curriculum at the school. Children take part in a wide range of competitions and activities through the Leeds Active Schools Partnership. We are focussed upon providing opportunities and driving sports forward and are now successfully competing against much bigger schools in our local cluster, which is a testament to the ongoing commitment to health, sport and fitness across our school.
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools against 5 key indicators:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
The Primary Sports Premium continues to help develop the PE and sports activities that our school already offers. It is helping to make improvements that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
Examples at our school are as follows:
- Providing existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- A member of staff who specialises in teaching PE for 2 days a week
- Providing 2 PE coordinators who can lead, advise and support staff in the teaching of PE.
- Introducing new sports or activities through ‘come and try’ events lined to local clubs and encouraging more pupils to take up sport
- Taking part in sport competitions
- Running sports activities with other schools
- Running lunch time and after school clubs
- Working closely with Leeds Active Schools for competitive and ‘come and try’ experiences.
During the school day, children regularly take part in active learning (for example, Go Noodle, Cosmic Yoga, Active 15 throughout school and the 30:30 Wristband Challenge). Swimming is important at our school and each Year 4 class enjoys three 6-week blocks of swimming lessons.
We have assigned a specialist PE teacher who leads PE sessions for 2 days every week, as well as coordinating clubs and sporting fixtures.
Year 4 pupils also have their weekly swimming lessons at Holt Park. As well as this, the class teachers also deliver a weekly dance or gymnastic lesson to the pupils as part of the National Curriculum requirement.
PE and Sports Premium
The PE and Sports premium is additional funding for publicly funded schools in England to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
PE and Sports premium funding is available to local authority maintained schools
We continue to strive to give the children as much experience and variety in PE as possible.